What’s it like to compete at the top? We listen and learn from Priscilla Hung, President and Chief Operating Officer at Guidewire. She shares her journey through multiple areas of the business to learn, understand and innovate to improve customer experiences and escalate digital transformation within her industry. Priscilla also shares what it’s like to compete as a woman on her way to the top, including how she has navigated (and continues to) against unconscious bias by addressing it and changing company culture.
Featured in This Episode
Priscilla Hung is President & Chief Operating Officer of Guidewire, a platform that helps property and casualty insurers engage, innovate, and grow. Priscilla is the head of the company’s operations worldwide and oversees product development, venture investments, and enterprise business operations. For over 30 years in the technology industry, Priscilla has served in different leadership positions, including operations, business development, and product marketing in both startups and public companies. Before joining Guidewire in 2005, she worked with companies such as Ariba, Sun Microsystems, and Uniface/Compuware. In addition to her role at Guidewire, Priscilla currently sits on the boards of Vonage and ContractRoom and serves as Board Advisor to Human API and Ethos Life.
Priscilla joins me today to discuss Guidewire’s mission and how they help P&C insurance companies become more agile in serving customers’ needs. She shares her professional journey into her role as Guidewire’s President & Chief Operating Officer and describes how she found herself at the receiving end of unconscious bias several times in her career. She underscores the importance of remaining humble as one rises to the top of a tech company. She also discusses why women need to encourage young girls to become more interested in engineering and computer science careers and highlights how women can shift the conversation on diversity & inclusion in the tech industry.
“We need more women to open the door for other women to join the tech workforce. Help expose young girls to technology and encourage them to get into engineering and science.” – Priscilla Hung
This Week on the Podcast
- Priscilla’s role and responsibilities as President & Chief Operating Officer at Guidewire
- A brief history of Guidewire and its mission
- How COVID-19 impacted the P&C insurance industry
- How technology helps the insurance industry be more agile
- Why there aren’t many women at the top of the tech industry
- Encouraging girls and young women to be interested in STEM
- Embracing and celebrating diversity and equality in the technology sector
- Confronting unconscious bias and the importance of speaking up against it
- Becoming an empathetic leader and maintaining a sense of humility at the top of a tech company
- Shifting culture in a male-dominated industry and helping men understand unconscious bias
Connect with Priscilla Hung
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Girls in Tech. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe and leave a review wherever you get your podcasts.
Be sure to share your favorite episodes on social media to help us reach more listeners, like you.