Salary: 100-120k AUD + superannuation
Job type: Full-time (either 4 or 5 days)
Industry: science, research, health
Company type: Private, non-profit, < 15 employees
Location: Melbourne, Australia (remote within AU/NZ considered)
Covidence is looking for web application developers to join our Melbourne-based team. Our engineering ethos is to build software that is easy to maintain and scale with a small team from simple, functional components. You’ll be a key contributor to the product and will have a voice in the organisation as a whole.
We are seeking someone with who can build a vision and architecture for iteratively migrating our frontend away from Backbone, towards Webpack, React, and GraphQL. Our ideal candidate is comfortable additionally contributing to the Ruby backend, in particular developing the GraphQL API to support the frontend development, migrating assets out of Rails’ asset pipeline, and converting Rails views to React as needed.
The work you do will have meaningful impact in the world, improving health and well-being by enabling and supporting the use of evidence-based research and practice. Researchers worldwide use our SaaS product to distill the deluge of research findings into effective practices in health, education and other fields of human well-being.
We are a small and young non-profit company, still building the foundation for a sustainable future and a great company culture. New additions to the team are encouraged to contribute in shaping the company and culture around our shared values: honesty, compassion, curiosity, and diligence.
- You will promote a safe and sustainable working environment.
- You will collaborate within the company and with our partners.
- You will treat our customers, partners, and colleagues with respect and compassion.
- You will contribute to the product and product development processes.
- You will participate in wider company discussions and decisions.
- You will take features and bug fixes from concept through to production. You will sniff out the real requirements, understand design trade offs, deploy it to production, and monitor it with metrics.
- You may occasionally need to respond to system outages after hours, but we will go to lengths to make this a rarity.
Some of these should describe you but we welcome applications from candidates who feel they can contribute in other ways.
- You are comfortable developing within the context of a Ruby on Rails application and are comfortable working on the backend from time to time as needed to support frontend goals.
- You can give thoughtful code review feedback and are willing to receive the same.
- You are comfortable working through legacy code and refactoring it to be in accordance with team practices.
Some things you could work on…
- Setting a strong architectural precedent for the frontend application and leading the modernisation of our legacy Backbone codebase
- Unifying disparate UI elements into re-usable components
- Integrating machine assistance features into efficient user workflows
- Working on in-browser PDF annotation features
- Improving the frontend performance and accessibility
- Laptop, monitor, and other equipment provided
- Transparent and sustainable working environment
- Flexible working location and hours
- $2,000 AUD per year budget for professional development such as conferences or learning materials
- Not-for-profit salary packaging concessions (salary sacrifice your rent/mortgage!) – implementation in-progress
- We value continually improving our code quality and reducing technical complexity
- We inform our product changes with user testing and research
- We build software to encourage health practices supported by data, and we aim to build that software using practices and through decisions supported by data
- Opportunities to collaborate with experts in machine learning, medical research, and other fields
- Regular 1-on-1s with manager
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com